How to Transcribe
How to begin transcribing
- Select an item with the caption reading "Transcription needed." Pages that are partially transcribed will have the areas indicated.
- Email Becca Evans at email@example.com to confirm the material is available. Becca will email a transcription template using MS Word. The materials caption will change to "In Progress."
- Submit your finished transcription to Becca Evans as an email attachment. Finished pages will have a caption stating "Complete."
Contact Becca Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Transcribe the letters and journal pages as follows:
- Transcribe original punctuation, word order, and any page numbers or catalog marks.
- Preserve line breaks except when a word breaks over a line or page. Then transcribe it on the line or page where it starts.
- Correct spelling when necessary.
- Use brackets [ ] around deleted, illegible, or partially legible text, and square brackets and asterisks around any writing in margins [ * * ].
- Transcribe any words or letters you can't identify as [?].
- Include insertions where you would read them in the text.